A journey via Delhi metro

As I have told in my previous post, Santhosh (my friend's friend) had arranged an extra bed for me. He is doing PhD in JNU. He came to room at 3 o clock in the morning.  Morning when I was ready for leaving to Humayun tomb, he gave me his metro card. He told me to refill the card with 200 Rs so that I can use it instead of waiting in queue for ticket.

To commute in Delhi you should know the map or routes. Since I decided to go via Metro I installed Delhi metro app which was the major planner tool in my trip. From that app you can find out nearest metro station to your location and also you can find out the destination metro station. You can also find out the route map from source to destination which helped me in changing the metro in between. My starting point was JNU which is near to Qutub Minor station. Since JNU hostel is about 1-2 km from the gate, I boarded a bus which took me to Jorbagh station. From Jorbagh station I took metro to Central secretariat and then to Jangpura station



Few things which might help you in your metro journey is

1. Metro card to avoid standing in queue and also you will get cash back.
2.  Metro App to know your route and metro stations.
3. Once you know your route it is easy to change the platform depending on the metro line. Suppose from yellow line you have to change to violet line. Once you get down in a station a violet painted foot prints will guide you to the platform.

                                         That is how I reached Jangpura station. From jangpura to Humayun tomb it was showing 1.5 km in Metro app. But unfortunately my google map was not working. I started asking the people, most of them were not aware of the place. May be they were not understanding the name Humayun Tomb. I should have asked Humayun ka Muqbara. I was very much near to the entrance but no body knew the place. Then I asked an old man. He reacted as if he didn't listen. But I don't know what made him to change his mind, he came back and with his hand asked me to follow him. We crossed the road and then he showed me the route. It was a nice gesture and I don't know how to thank him. I was standing in front of the poster showing Humayun tomb where as few minutes back I was really frustrated at not getting any help.

I payed 10 Rs as the entrance fee (for foreigners 250 Rs) and moved towards Isa Khan tomb. If you go straight you will reach humayun Tomb. But I took left to reach Isa Khan's tomb. Isa  Khan Niyazi was noble during Sher Shah Suri. His tomb was built during his life time i.e. 1547 AD. Thanks to some work of Archeological Survey of India together with some local NGOs and Govt of Delhi they have done a lot of work to preserve the monument.

This link might give more information about the Tomb.


As mentioned in the link we really can see the effect of pollution on the monument. Look at the picture below. The octagonal tomb with the sunken garden is believed to be the first of such design which has been inspiration to other monuments like Humayun tomb and Tajmahal. The wide verandah is one of the rarest we find in tombs but usually we find it more in temples. I specifically liked the artistic design of the tomb fresco. The Garden is also having a mosque which is in front of the tomb.




Then I moved to the Humayun Tomb. Truly one of the magnificent architecture I have seen. That is the reason it has been UNESCO Heritage center.  The red color along with white makes it some what similar to other architectures in Delhi.



Built with persian style of architecture its surrounding layout resembles other Mughal architecture I have seen, Bibi ki Maqbara. I was closely observing the beauty of the architecture. Then in between I heard an argument between a high school going kid and their family about cruelty of Humayun and other Mughals. The kid was talking about the cruelty of Mughals especially Aurangazeb. I tried to ignore the conversation but the father slapped the kid for saying those lines. Even I used to have few discussions with my dad but he never slapped me or went beyond line for talking against any of the rituals. The younger generations are becoming more matured and having an opinion about humanity is always a good thing. (My opinion here is only about humanity)



Then I moved to the mosque sat for a while in the garden. It was more peaceful. Even the little birds made it even more sweeter. Then I took an auto to Purani quila.


Purani Quila
Mosque

Purana quila is a fort built by Humayun and renovated by Shershah Suri. This is the same mythological place we know by name Indraprastha. This heritage centre covers about 2 km. More than a heritage centre I can call it as a picnic spot and lover spot. I ignored all the kissing scenes and even some other scenes also.


Look at these monuments. These are beautiful but almost in perishable state. Authority has not made any effort to improve its surrounding but inside it is very beautiful. Though tourists have made it a mess throwing plastic every where near the quila-i-kuhna mosque , the road towards Humayun Gate is kept very clean and peaceful.


The Humayun gate now stands as  venue for light and sound show which happens in the evening, unfortunately I couldn't attend. I can see some of the monuments here has undergone repair.






The archaeological museum is having a lot of collection. We need to take separate ticket for museum.
The ornaments and cooking vessels of different era are kept here. Though it is a small one compared to the Shivaji museum Aurangabad, but it was quite different. I could see some of the pots and vessels dating back to Maurya empire.

        It made me remember some peace of article I read few days before the visit. It was about the decline of Mauryan empire and it points out the peaceful way of ruling method by Ashoka led to downfall and the command-in-chief of the army Pushyamithra Shunga killed the last emperor of Maurya. If you see the history, it is always evident people who spread peace will be killed by those who want war. For example, John F Kennedy was killed for the same reason.


Look at the Sher Mandal built by Sher Shah Suri where Humayun died falling from second floor. This was one of the early observatory used and it was even converted into library by Humayun.



The view of Pragathi maidhan from Fort is very beautiful. The artificial lake beside the fort is also beautiful. But still I must say the heritage could have been maintained in a much better way.
They should make sure that it doesn't end as a lover's park, instead they should more focus on the architecture and history. Plastic should be banned or there should be proper instruction on not to litter.

Then I moved to Pragathi Maidhan metro station. From there I took metro to Akshardam temple. Temple is 5 min walk from Aksharadam metro station. Akshardam is one of the magnificent temple and is perfect example for modern spiritual centre.

I would like to write down about Akshardam temple in my next post. Delhi will always remain as the most diversified tourist destination. May be you will get to know why it is diversified in few of my next posts on Delhi.

Travel is a source of knowledge for those seek knowledge, entertainment for those who enjoy, provide peace for those who seek it most, boosts your confidence and make you a better person.
Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Write comments
ebcmussoorie
AUTHOR
February 6, 2024 at 9:50 PM delete

Glamping near Delhi offers a luxurious escape from city life, with stunning accommodations and nature at your doorstep.
glamping near Delhi


Reply
avatar