Tadiandamoola


As the summer approaches, every year Bangaloreans plan a trip to nearby hill stations. Most of the time we end up planning for Coorg. Every time I visit this place, it gives me a different experience. I have been to many team outings here, spending most of the time in Kayaking and other sports. When we go with the office team, it will be always a small and easy trek. but Coorg is heaven for trekkers.

 

From Kumara Parvatha trek to Nishani motte, every trek will give you a different experience. Though  I have been to Kodagu (Coorg) multiple times but could do only two major treks till now.  KP was my first trek which crosses the boundary of  Kodagu and Tadiandamoola was another.


Karnataka is a state with diversity. Though official language is Kannada, you could find sister languages like Tulu, Kodava, Byari, Konkani and other languages.  The Yakshagana of malenadu and coastal region to Bharatanatyam of Bengaluru and Mysore region, From the world of classical music and the educational city of Dharwad to the city of social reform Basava Kalyan, From Kunda of Belgaum to Peda of Dharwad, From Krishna and Mahadayi in North Karnataka to Sharvati of Shimogga and Kaveri of Kodagu, From Jawar rotti of North Karnataka to Ragi mudde of Mysore region, Karnataka is diverse. Even Kodagu is famous for its different culture, patriotism and rich flora and fauna.

.

I generally had an adoration for Kodagu.  My first poem was dedicated to the young lady from Kodagu. My first team outings from office were to Kodagu. I loved their culture, their devotion towards river Kaveri, their love towards the nation. They have always raised their voice whenever someone tried to destroy their forests. Any deforestation in Kodagu would impact the Bangalore, Mysore region. So I was excited for Tadiandamoola trek when I planned.


Tadiandamoola peak is the third highest peak in Karnataka and the highest peak in Kodagu. When we landed in Kakabbe near the Tadiandamoola trek point, it was 4 AM. It was 5-6 Km walk from the bus stop to the trek starting point. On the way, we had tea and Maggi in a small hotel. We also ordered food for lunch in the same hotel. 


We walked to the base camp where you will get the forest check post. From forest check post it is only 4-5km to the peak. The trek route will give you a picturesque view. First 2 km will be an easy trail. The green and bluish green surrounding will make you spellbound. Near the peak, it is having a steep trail. It is better to carry more water during the trek. At an altitude of 1748 Meter, this hill may not be the toughest trek, but remains one of the beautiful treks of Karnataka.


Forest department has banned usage of plastic inside the forest. That is always a concern for a responsible nomad like me. Our tourism should go in a responsible manner. I saw many plastic bottles on the way to check-post. The total ban on plastics in the region is recommended.


As after marriage, I have reduced outings, I have been concentrating on the research on culture, natural diversity, and architecture. Coorg is one of the places which I want to explore more along with coastal belts of Karnataka and western ghat region. I will come up with different stories in diverse land of Karnataka along with my exploration outside the state. Keep supporting me with your feedback.
Previous
Next Post »