A gifted life and learning

Have you ever had a doubt about your potential? Have you ever been rejected because of misunderstanding? Are you thinking that you know everything? You want to start something amazing, but you are in a dilemma about how to start? Have you ever failed in a career? Are people taking you for granted? Have you lost someone so close to your heart? Do you really want to learn more and lead a happy and humble life?



Then you must travel. Travel is a cure for many problems and heartbreaks.

Whenever I think about a new year it is all about resolutions. I don't know how other species count the years. We humans think we are the only species who celebrate the new year. That always allows understanding of the lifestyle of other species. Like 2016 and 2017, for 2018 also I listed 50 to do things in a year. Since I wanted to spend more time on NGO, I cut down it to 30.

In that one of the main thing was traveling to Thailand.

Having traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, and Andaman last year I have been enlightened a bit. Before the news broke about the killing of an irresponsible traveler in Andaman, I was there in Andaman exploring the little information about the tribes on the island. With the little information, I could get a brief idea about the tribal people of Andaman. Having visited the Maya bay, the wonderful beach which has been a dream destination for many, I have realized the dream come true if we organize our ideas.

Yes, organizing our goal is more important to reach them. When my teacher used to ask me to look at the sky and imagine, I was not knowing what he meant. Whenever I looked at the sky, I used to search for a star first and then a group of stars and connect them. The same way we need to organize our goals. More we connect them, more we find another group of stars. If we will reach one goal, another goal will be ready. That is life. Traveling to 10 countries was one such goal and Thailand was one such star.

The biggest mistake I did while traveling to Bangkok as I have booked the rooms outside the city.  I landed in Bangkok airport. Not many understand English. I went outside the airport to catch a bus. I was helped by a person who fixed the price for a taxi and when the taxi started, he asked me for more money. That was the beginning of my solo trip. I didn't agree to the price and he took a big u-turn via flyover and dropped me to the same place.



 Then again a few students in their sign language asked me to take a metro (airport line link). For a few minutes, I thought the solo trip was a wrong decision. I took a metro and got down in the station mentioned by the students. Then I switched on the map and checked the distance it was same as the distance from the airport. Again I went back to the previous station and got little help from metro office and came out looking for the bus. Before that, I had taken the Bangkok map and transport system guide book from one of the officers. That helped me a lot in Thailand. I was already late and was approached by a scooter taxi. I fixed the price and I went with him to my destination.
With my scooter buddy

Scooter taxi is the fastest and riskiest way to reach any destination in Bangkok. The address mentioned in the Makemytrip was not proper and it took some time to find out the exact location. When I reached the landlady welcomed me with the Thai Language. I gave her my booking information and in 10 minutes she cleaned my rooms and gave me the key. It was a kind of small apartment. Nobody knew English. I was hungry and took out my chapatis. I had brought 40 chapatis but I forgot to bring jam and chutney powder. I went in search of  Tomato sauce or something which I could eat with chapati.

They follow road rules but this scooter taxi is an exception
In search of food, came to the shopping mall.

I went to one food court and the smell of insects was so bad that I came out with half dead. I went to a supermarket and was searching for ingredients in every sauce I saw.  Life is very difficult for a vegetarian in a remote place. All I saw was a fish photo in most of the items and everything written in the Thai language. I came out of the store with a lot of disappointment. Then I saw the fruit seller on the road. It was an oasis in the desert. I bought one bowl of fruit for 40 bahts (equivalent to 80 INR). I ate them with chapati. That was my lunch and dinner. The water was also expensive.




For 3-4 hours I was in the street and I didn't feel like eating anything afterward.  For a few minutes, I missed everyone back home. But I was ready for the challenge. It was my first solo trip outside India. I was in outskirts of Bangkok where English is an alien language. I was completely blank whether to use maps or google translator. The first day was all about adjusting to the new culture and reality. As time passed I was becoming stronger than ever before.

I started looking for positive things. The people were very helpful most of the time. People were disciplined in following road rules. The statues of monks, the small street from where I bought the slippers, the empty streets after 10 are still in my mind. I felt totally disconnected from my friends and family at that time. But I was also becoming a little stronger inside.

Those moments were the most precious moments of life. These are the moments which makes you a decision-maker. These are the moments which makes you not to worry about what other people think about you. You should follow your heart. I was married at that time and I have come for new learning alone. I wanted to experience these things and crossing all the obstacles I was there with a stronger mind and the mindset of a student. My wife was also very supportive and stood by me in my decision.

I want to share a lot more experience in the next post. But I would like to tell you that travel teaches so many things. It gives you a completely new dimension to your life. Those who don't travel, they just follow people and works. By traveling you know the reality, you shape your ideas and can lead your own life. It had always impacted my life positively.

Previous
Next Post »