Bangalore - For foodies (Veg)

Bangalore was a dream before coming here.  Even when I was studying in one of the reputed college SDM Ujire , my mindset was similar. That time Bangaloreans were people from Mars for some of us.  The way they used to speak confidently, we were literally fan of them. When I first visited the city for CET counselling, with a lot of curiosity I was looking at the tall buildings. I still remember the first theatre I have visited in Bengaluru. I don't have words to explain my first visit to Sapna book house. The struggles I had in initial years of my career had made it more memorable. Sanky tank and Malleshwaram still gives me same feelings. Even today after 9 years of my stay in Bengaluru, I am same little kid with lots of curiosity to explore the city.

As a traveller, you might fall in love with the city and might visit more often to enjoy the calmness which you find in the old city. The weather is deteriorating but still it remains one of the beautiful city in the world. A science hub , an adventurers hub,  the IT city and many more names you can give it. The city which has given a lot of artists and sports persons, the city which is super power in literature, the city which has given an actor who has the highest success rate in Indian film industry , can mesmerize you with various forms. Even food has varieties like the accent of it's language. Kannada , the state's official language is one of the oldest language with more than 2000 years of history. I can write many things here about this beautiful city and state, but I limit this blogs to food options in Bengaluru. 

This is my first blog on namma Bengaluru and dedicate this to all foodies here. Since I am a vegetarian, I am adding here only vegetarian options. Definitely I will add non vegetarian options discussing with my friends. 

Bangalore is famous for butter Masala dosa. There are places famous for idli also.  Here are my personal favourite eating places. I will update menu and price details later. 

1. Shri Sagar (CTR) , Malleshwaram



5 min walk from Malleswaram circle, you will reach Sri Sagar, one of the oldest restaurant in Bengaluru dates back to 1920's. Try Benne masala dosa , mangalore bujji and a filter coffee.

2. Umesh Dosa point 

Try any item here , especially pudi masala dosa.

3. MTR Lalbagh

You will get the most authentic benne masala dosa here. Most popular restaurant in Bengaluru. But for dosa, my favorite is CTR.

4. Ramu tiffin centre - VV Puram

After Malleshwaram, VV puram is my favorite hangout place. Try masala dosa.

5. Veena stores, Malleshwaram

You need to stand in a queue to get food here. City's best idly vada you will get here. 

5. Janata Hotel , Malleshwaram

Weekends if I am in Bengaluru , one of the evening I will be found in CTR or Janata hotel. Try Benne masala and vada sambar. Even mangalore bajji is good. Whatever you order don't miss to order coffee.

6. Brahmins Cafe, Basavanagudi

The idli vada with tasty chutney is speciality of this hotel.

7. Vidyarthi Bhavan, Basavanagudi

Once the most popular destination, now quality is reduced. But still it attracts more customers. Try masala dosa and uppittu with a coffee. Even vada sambar is good. Be ready to wait for more than an hour.

8. 99 varieties of Dosa , Koramangala 5th block 

Tried spring dosa and mysore paneer masala. Need to try other flavors. Tasty and little spicy.  A small shop on the road side which attracts many customers. After having dosa walk a bit and try ragi milk shake in Juice point.

9. Raghavendra stores, Malleswaram

Try idli vada and chou chou bath

10. Ganesh Darshan(Dosa camp), Jayanagar

Once popularly known as dosa camp, belongs to hallimane groups. Try masala dosa and button idly sambar. Don't compare it with the taste it used to have 10 years back. It has lost the glory but still it comes in top 10.

11. Sree Krishna Cafe 

People said pudina dosa is good here. But it is available on only tuesday and saturday. Masala dosa is not good but garlic dosa is good.   


For biryani I have tried Meghana , Krutunga. But I liked Paradise Biryani , Indiranagar. (For Veg biryani). I never tried empire hotel biryani.

According to many bloggers, you get the best South Indian meal in MTR Lalbagh.Even Mayyas and Rotigarh are good but nothing can be compared to MTR. Gramin, Koramangala is one of the good option for veggies in North Indian category. For Jawar roti, you can try Uttara Karnataka foods RT Nagar.

Still I have not gone to many places. I have been to Mayyas many times but didn't try dosa. The best dosa I ever had is in Mylari hotel, Mysore.  Within 100 km of Bengaluru Aduge mane restaurant, Kamat lokaruchi , Janapadaloka is good. Neera dosa in Janapada loka is good.  

[More details will be updated whenever I visit those places next time.]
Previous
Next Post »